"How can there be too many children? It's like saying there are too many flowers." Mother Theresa

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lessons I'm learning through my daughter...and other ramblings

The adjusting period is still going good. Manny and Noah are now on the middle school soccer team together. They are having fun playing at this level. Manny is outgoing and talkative. Grace is another story...
I long for her to talk to me, really talk to me....ask me for things. She talks to the children upstairs, I hear her. When she is with Ryan and I, she only answers questions. She is polite and smiles a lot. I don't believe she is unhappy. I believe she is trying to be respectful of us. Spiritually this has made me reflect on prayer. Father God longs for us to talk to him. He longs for us to ask him for things. He gives us things when we don't ask for but he doesn't give us other things we need because we do not ask. Strange as it may seem this is what bothers me the most about my daughter, she doesn't ask me for anything. I want her to ask. As I realize this I realize God the Father wants his children to as too. I am asking more...
She had to have a root canal yesterday. It was by far the worst visit dental, medical or otherwise that I have experienced as a parent. We had David explain what was going to happen to her on the phone prior to the visit. Though I don't know exactly what he said, historically he sugar coats things so I do not believe he caused her fear. When Simon was finished and it was her turn, she walked forward and backward toward the chair at the same time. She lay down and began to cry softly. She cried out "Mommy!" and another word I did not understand. I sat with her and held her hand. The dentist talked softly to her. She began to tremble all over. Her arms and legs were even trembling and she was making whimpering noises. All I could do was hold her hand and put my head down and pray. (and cry!)
Again I reflect on God the Father and how he watches his children experience pain and fear. It must break his heart too, but he holds our hands and sings over us as the scriptures say.
Tomorrow I am to return to work. I emailed my boss to let her know that I will not be returning full-time,I will work PRN (as needed). Pray that this news will be taken well. I have paid our insurance payments until March 19th and need them to be gracious to allow me to keep my insurance that long. I am so excited about the future. I have never been a stay at home Mom. When Noah was a baby I stayed home during the week (mostly) and worked the weekends. That is the closest I have ever been to being a SAHM. Without a doubt this 3 month period has been the best of my life. I love being here with my kids. I love greeting them when they come in from school and talking to them as I cook dinner, not preoccupied with all the things I have yet to do!
Word to the stay at home Mom community: Many of you said hurtful things intentionally or not to me about working outside the home. Please be careful not to judge other women and remember that most working Mom's are already full of guilt about working. You telling them how important staying home is doesn't help them, it adds to their guilt. We never know what another family is facing financially. We don't where others are spiritually. We have to love people where they are. Believe me I struggle with doing this too.
Now some odd ramblings...
Sunday afternoon as Ryan relaxed on the couch Happy used him as a pillow..

For fun Mercy likes to put lotion on Ryan legs and feet and comb his "weg and toe hair". He is shameless to allow this! But we all think it's really funny:-)

1 comment:

Beret said...

Sweet Grace, I pray she'll open up to you soon. I keep reminding myself that it has only been 2.5 months and it will take time, but it is not always an easy road. You are doing great!