"How can there be too many children? It's like saying there are too many flowers." Mother Theresa

Friday, March 21, 2008

A Pauper @ Practice

Noah had his first baseball practice of the season yesterday. It was at his coaches house. A bit unusual I admit, but he had another coach that practiced at his house. We had a bit of difficulty finding the house and with Noah talking and asking questions at the speed of light, we had to turn around a few times. As we drove the long paved driveway to the monster home, a funny thing happened. My '02 Honda Civic seemed to be making me LESS significant. Suddenly I was very aware that my right mirror was missing (secondary to hitting the side of the garage backing out), the scrapes down the right side of the car seemed more severe (also caused from poorly backing out of the garage:), and the dirty windshield seemed even dirtier (no reflection to my personal hygiene.) For a couple of moments I felt a pang of....jealousy? Here I am a follower of Christ with the full understanding that these materiel possessions are temporary and of no eternal significance, and I'm...jealous? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING! Why is this? Why do I occasional feel covetous of other people's homes and nice cars? Why do I sometimes feel jealous that some Mom's get to stay and home and not work and others of us are often pushed to the limit? Is it simply the tactic of comparison that is used by the enemy? Or is it something else? Is our desire for beautiful things part of our desire for heaven? Or am I simply still very immature?
On a lighter note: Noah's practice was great. His coach said he is a true "ATH-E-LETE". He also said he is very well behaved. I think he missed the musical performance he put on for us Mom's. He was not so gracefully dancing and showing us what the "Z Man" can do. Drama has caused him to blossom perhaps. Or maybe just maybe one of his parents is a bit dramatic...:)

No comments: