"How can there be too many children? It's like saying there are too many flowers." Mother Theresa

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tips on raising a large family




Someone emailed me and asked me to give some tips on raising a large family. So here goes!
So the pictures have nothing to do with raising a large family! I just love the pictures and thought I'd show you one of the most important things about raising a large family: Having Fun!
Most people like to ask me about the laundry. Our system is this: The kids bring the laundry down to me each morning (it is on a chore list). I wash the laundry and put it in baskets, one basket for each bedroom. The kids are then called to get their basket and they put away their own laundry. If you want the laundry put away properly then make sure each item of clothing has a clear and precise place to put it.
The second most popular question I get asked is about food! First, never skimp on nutrition. You are your child's teacher about health and wellness. Make the most of that. When going to the grocery make a list. I find that I save money if I use recipes and don't just make a list from my mind. I double all recipes. Plan your snacks and put those too on the list. We also are part of a CSA. For those who don't know what that is, it stands for community supported agriculture. We pay a set amount and then go weekly or biweekly depending on the season and pick up our goods. The farm is organic and close to our home. It is a very good value and I have found it to be beneficial to wait to pick up our veggies and then plan next weeks menu. What we don't buy: We NEVER buy candy, gummies or other such junk. I will on special occasions pick up a 2liter of soda, but I only do this on special occasions. People often too ask me about picky eaters...I have one picky eater. I do not cater to him. He eats what I serve. He must have one bite of everything, but then he is free to eat what he likes.
Clothing.....thrift stores, hand me downs, and clearance racks. Nuff said on that!
Christmas presents- two each and a stocking. The first year we did this I thought the kids would be disappointed. They didn't even notice. Children truly do most value their time with you. Which lead me to another FAQ....
How do you spend enough time with everyone? First of all, if you are homeschooling than you spend all day with your kids! We have tried different methods with this. We have had planned dates with the kids. We have tried special days of the week (where they pick dinner and get a fuss made over them). Though we have tried various things, it truly seems that the children's need for attention makes itself known without any planning. For example, sometimes you can tell by a child's behavior that they need some qt. After some time passes certain kids will like to do certain things with you that other kids do not and you will find that you are meeting their needs that way. I have one child who always goes shopping with me. I have one who enjoys going to library and so on an so forth.
Chores. We have tried various methods for this as well, but our current method is working the best. We have 7 children full-time so when Lauren is here then we alter the list the a bit. One child is responsible for cleaning the family room. This is all day, not a one time clean. They are manager of the area and keep everyone in check on picking up their shoes etc...No surprise, my son who is nicknamed The General is the family room cleaner. :) My teen daughter cleans the dishes at supper and cleans the kitchen daily. Manny cleans the bathrooms everyday. Beniam walks the dogs. Noah takes out the trash. Adam cleans the guest room and the computer room. Mercy is in chart of the entry way and the kitchen table. If you know Mercy she tries to be in charge of much more than that! :)
Activities. Many families I've talked to allow their children only one sport or activity. I think this is extremely wise, but we let our children play two sports each. Our kids mostly all play baseball and soccer. Activities can quickly become overwhelming. If I had known this a few years ago, we would be allowing one each as well.
Bible reading: This has changed a few times over the years. Right now though, I read the word with the homeschoolers and my husband reads the word to the 4 boys he drives to middle school each day. While they are waiting in line they read and pray together. Did I tell you how much I love my husband? ;) We have had regular reading times with dinner, at bedtime and in the morning. Our current system seems to work the most.
I am finding homeschooling to be so rewarding. It actually makes life a lot less hectic and quite a bit easier. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. I wish and hope and PRAY that I'll eventually have all the kids here with me.
I hope I've addressed most of what my friend wanted to know. Feel free to chime in and give your tips! It takes a village afterall!

1 comment:

RHaskin said...

I have 7 kids as well and it's interesting that we do very similar things. I haven't always homeschooled but just this year, I have all of them at home. It's a busy life but worth it!