"How can there be too many children? It's like saying there are too many flowers." Mother Theresa

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Adjusting


People keep asking how the adjustment is going. It's going good. Today the kids had their physicals and tomorrow they will start school. (That is if we have school. No school today because of a dusting of snow.) We decided to put both kids in the same grade and we will shave some time off Grace's age. I was too afraid to put her right in the eighth grade because I believe they'd eat her alive in the 9th grade school next year. She is soooooooooooooooo shy. I had a few moments, well a whole day, where I thought this was not going so well. I contacted a couple of friends who adopted teenagers and ask for their advise. Well just like taking your car to the mechanic and nothing being wrong, the next day Grace started talking. I really believe I was rushing things and she is painfully shy. Today she talked with a friend of ours, Noah's Ethiopian uncle Mebit, she was just explaining to him what she needed to make spaghetti sauce in Amharic and she was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO embarrassed. She was fanning her face and she turned very red. This is a shyness like I've never seen. She is talking to Simon D, right now in fact, in the kitchen, I just heard her say she was not going to marry and Ethiopian man or a faringe (foreigner). I think I said the same thing once upon a time:-)and I married both! LOL. Manny on the other hand is wide open! He has just jumped right in with the other boys. It's funny to me that girl are more likely to be adopted than boys, because boys are so much easier. :-)
If you think of them tomorrow please say a prayer for their protection and guidance at school. While your at it pray for me, their Mom, who will be trying not to worry herself sick.

4 comments:

MaryKay said...

I hope you'll post how it goes for your two in school. I have 2 boys, 11 & 13, that I will have to put in school this spring. One doesn't speak english, only Amharic! They should be grades 6 & 8 but I am not sure what to do.

Kimmie said...

God bless all of you. I am praying He will walk with each of you, bringing the assurance of His presence for each part of your days.

We need to pick an age for our daughter (at some point??) I'd love to hear how you picked yours?

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted
*expecting again...from Ethiopia

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how you all were doing. I will be thinking of the kids and their mom for the first day of school. Hope all goes well.

Anonymous said...

I hope the school thing will be okay. So many huge transitions at once with new family, country, food, language - and then school on top of it all! Keep us posted.