"How can there be too many children? It's like saying there are too many flowers." Mother Theresa

Monday, October 5, 2009

Beautiful

I don't know this lady, but a friend of mine sent me this in an email. I love it. Grab a tissue. Or am I just hormonal? :-)

Have I ever regretted being obedient to God?
Lysa TerKeurst

Have I ever regretted being obedient to God?
Most of you are familiar with how my beautiful sons came into my life. If you are not familiar with the story that aired on Oprah on Friday, you can see it at the bottom of the post found by clicking here.

God brought our boys home in an amazing way. But I have to admit, it was not an easy decision or one we took lightly.

Basically, when it came right down to it, we adopted our boys out of pure obedience to God.

We said yes to God’s invitation to become Mark and Jackson’s parents not because it was part of our plan, not because we had enough white space in our schedules, and definitely not because we had the money to fund two international adoptions. We brought them home because God told us to do it.

And then we fell in love.

So, now all these years later, it might be natural to ask me if we regret being obedient to God in this situation. Very few people would be bold enough to ask, but I bet many have wondered.

I can tell you, I've never once regretted saying yes. I love my boys and can not imagine my life without them. But there have been hard days.

Not because the boys are adopted but rather because they are kids that need parenting. Personally, I've found parenting all of our kids to be incredibly challenging. Motherhood is a wondrous mix of the hardest stuff mixed with the best of everything.

So, at the end of the day I have to ask myself, is the best in life found at the end of the easiest routes or the ones that require perseverance?

For me, what started as the faintest whimper of a yes to God eventually caused a glorious break in the dam of my heart. Eventually.

I may not live the easiest life. But, I do rejoice in the overflow of obedience. And no, I don't regret it. Not even in the slightest.

Today my sweet friend Renee is walking her journey of obedience and crazy love. I'd love for you to pop over to her place and overwhelm her with prayers, support, and encouragement.

No comments: